Archived Blog Posts
Create A Fire Escape Plan
Have An Escape Plan
Keeping your family safe if there is a fire in your home, requires working smoke alarms and having an escape plan. If a smoke alarm sounds due to a fire, you and your family have as little as two minutes to escape. Once a fire starts, it spreads very rapidly. Every second counts! Every home should have a fire safety plan in place and all family members must practice the plan until everyone can escape in less than two minutes. Follow the steps below to create a plan for your family.
1. Create an escape plan
Get all your family members together and walk through every room in your home, while talking about ways to escape. You should try to aim for two escape routes from every room if possible. Make a drawing of your home mapping out ways to exit. If you have small children, make sure they are paying attention and understand the escape plan. Never open a closed door until you touch it first, if it's hot find another way to escape. Have everyone practice dropping to their tummy and crawling, to reduce smoke inhalation.
2. Pick a meeting place
Choose a place to meet when you are safely out of harms way. The meeting place should be far enough away from your home. Go over the chosen location with all family members.
It is not enough to have a fire safety plan and meeting place, you must also practice your plan as many times as it takes till everyone in your family can escape in less than two minutes. Practice leaving from different rooms, practice dropping to your stomach and practice testing to see if doors and door handles are hot. When you are safely outside and at your meeting place, call 911. Never go back inside! Practice this plan twice a year, you may want to practice more frequently if you have small children.
4. Test smoke alarms
A fire safety plan will not work if your smoke detectors are not working. Every smoke detector in your home must be fully operational at all times. Make a habit of testing each smoke alarm once a month.
We are available for you 24 hours a day, if you are in need of our services. 917-924-2260
We Are Faster To Any Size Disaster
Faster To Any Size Disaster
There’s never a convenient time for flooding or water damage to strike your business. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need. SERVPRO of Upper East Side provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
SERVPRO of Upper East Side has the training, experience, and equipment to handle large commercial flooding or water damage emergencies. Whether your water emergency occurs in a small office building or big box store, we will respond quickly to mitigate the damage and start the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage, cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – (917) 924-2260
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of Upper East Side
SERVPRO of Upper East Side specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in commercial property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your commercial property.
Fire Safety Tips
Fire Prevention Tips
Install Smoke Detectors and Carbon Monoxide Alarms
- Top of the list in preventing house fires is by installing smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms in your home and remembering to test them at least twice a year. The US Fire Administration recommends changing the batteries twice a year and replacing the detectors and alarms every 10 years.
Purchase Fire Extinguishers
- A fire extinguisher should be in every kitchen, because the kitchen is one of the most common place where house fires start. You should also have one on hand in your bedroom.
- Be sure they are easily accessible and most important, make sure everyone in your family knows how to use one. Each member of your family should be taught how to operate a fire extinguisher. For young children, post P.A.S.S. acronym near each fire extinguisher.
Inspect Heating Equipment, Annually
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) say the leading cause of fires in US homes are caused by heating equipment (including space heaters, fireplaces and heating systems)
- Have your furnace inspected and a tune-up done annually. It will prolong the life of your furnace and it can prevent house fires.
- It's important to know when heating systems aren't working properly, they can release carbon monoxide. Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can cause severe illness and death.
- It is also recommended that you install a Notion Sensor next to your Carbon Monoxide alarm. This will notify you when your Carbon Monoxide alarm goes off, giving time for you and your family and pets to evacuate safely.
Don't use frayed or cracked electrical cords.
- Pulling on a cord can wear it out over time – and cords that are worn or frayed can increase the risk of a short circuit, an electrical shock, and even a fire.
Don't leave the kitchen unattended when the stove or oven is on.
Extension Cords should never be used on the following items
- Do NOT use an extension cord with the following items: ice makers, refrigerators, microwaves, space heater, hair dryer, garbage disposals, air conditioners, toasters/toaster ovens, washers/dryers, and coffee/tea makers.
Never leave lit candles unattended
- If you use candles regularly, it’s so important to put them out before leaving the room.
- You should also keep them far away from any blankets, carpets, or other flammable objects.
- If you have small children or pets, it’s also a good idea to keep lit candles out of reach.
Store flammable liquids properly
- According to the NFPA, flammable or combustible liquids cause more than 43,000 home fires each year!
- It's so important to carefully read product labels, keep an eye out for any warnings, and store accordingly.
Have your dryer inspected by a professional at least once a year
- Dryers cause more than 20,000 house fires every year, causing millions of dollars in damage.
- Regular cleaning and maintenance are all you need to protect your family and your home from dryer fires.
- Removing the lint trap from your dryer after every use and clean it.
- Lint will also build up inside the dryer vent and ductwork, so it's best to call a professional at least once a year to have an inspection and cleaning.
Consider renters insurance if you rent an apartment
- Renters insurance covers your personal property if it is damaged or stolen, medical and legal bills if you are found liable for damaging someone's property or injuring them, and temporary living expenses if your rental home is uninhabitable.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists
Basement Flooded? Call us!
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding, because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your basement could flood, including:
- A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
- Heavy rain causes surface water to pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
- And many more
If flood water is not handled quickly and properly, it can jeopardize your health and safety, and cause severe damage to your home’s structure. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
The bottom line: a flooded basement can jeopardize your health, safety, and your home’s integrity. It’s worth making a call to SERVPRO of Upper East Side and let our trained, professional crews handle the situation safely and correctly. We have earned the trust of hundreds of homeowners, business owners, and property professionals.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists:
- We are Available 24 hours/7 days a week
- We’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
- We Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry About
- Our Technicians are Highly-Trained in Water Restoration Techniques
- We use IICRC Restoration Standards
- Advanced Inspection and Extraction Equipment
Basement Flooded? Call Us Today – We’re Ready To Help (917) 924-2260
SERVPRO Of Upper East Side Provides 24-Hour Emergency Services
We are Here To Help 24/7/365
SERVPRO of Upper East Side is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today - (917) 924-2260
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused and stressed. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Upper East Side has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of Upper East Side
SERVPRO of Upper East Side specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
We Specialize in Storm Damage Restoration
When Storm Damage Strikes, Call us
SERVPRO of Upper East Side specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit, we have the resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of over 1,700 Franchises in the United States and Canada and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today, SERVPRO of Upper East Side 917-924-2260
Do you have Indoor Air Quality Concerns?
Call to schedule an inspection of your air ducts
Air duct cleaning is sometimes necessary to keep the quality of the air in your home or business the cleanest it can be. Think about how dirty your feet would be if you never cleaned your floors or carpeting! When air ducts are clean, the system doesn't have to work as hard to maintain the temperature you have set on your thermostat. Therefore, it uses less energy, which in turn saves money on energy costs and wear and tear on your HVAC system.
Here are some of the main reasons you should have your air ducts professionally cleaned
- Better indoor air ventilation and circulation
- Reduced need to dust, vacuum or sweep
- Extended life of your HVAC system
- Decrease in Allergy and Asthma symptoms
- Reduce mold growth
- Save money on your energy bill
- Air filters will last longer
- The air will smell cleaner
- Frequent duct cleaning with expose underlying issues with your HVAC system
Call us to schedule an inspection of your air ducts. We will make recommendations about the best way to address any indoor air quality concerns. This can save you money and provide peace of mind on the health of your system.
For more information on HVAC and air duct cleaning, call us today, (917) 924-2260.
Carbon Monoxide Safety
Carbon Monoxide Safety
Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, tasteless and odorless gas.
Carbon Monoxide is also known as The Silent Killer. It is a colorless, tasteless and odorless gas, that is deadly. It is undetectable by humans and pets. It is released into the air from burning fuel, so anything in your home or business that runs off fuel is a potential source. When the gas is released into poorly-ventilated enclosed space, carbon monoxide molecules replace the oxygen in the air. Poisoning occurs when the carbon monoxide accumulates to dangerous levels in your blood stream. High concentrations can kill in less than five minutes.
Some common sources of carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Gas Fired Furnaces/hot water heaters
- Wood burning stoves
- Gas ranges/ovens
- Space Heaters
- Gas Grills
- Clogged Chimneys
- Heating exhaust vents
- House fires
- Running cars in enclosed spaces
- Using gas powered tools in enclosed spaces
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning
- Flu-like symptoms
- Shortness of breath
- Blurred Vision
- Chest pain
- Loss of consciousness
Carbon monoxide poisoning is preventable
- Purchase and install carbon monoxide detectors in the hallway near each bedroom
- Test them regularly, replacing batteries or detector when necessary
- Have everything that operates by fuel inspected once a year by a qualified professional
- Don't run your vehicle in an enclosed space
- Check the exhaust pipe of your vehicle to be sure it isn't blocked
- Never grill indoors
- Practice safe generator usage
If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, evacuate immediately and be sure to take all your pets with you. Leave the door open for ventilation and contact the fire department.
Pet Heat Safety
Don't Leave Your Pet in the Car
During this time of year, pet owners take their pets to the park and take longer walks with their pets. Spending more time outdoors when temperatures are hot, does pose higher risks for your pets. Veterinarians report an increase in injuries, ear infections, skin issues and heat stroke in pets this time of year. Pets don't sweat the way we do, so they can easily become overheated.
Here are some tips to prevent your pet from becoming overheated:
- If your pet shows signs of heat exhaustion, bring them to a cool shady spot. If you are near your home, bring them inside to a cooled room or put them near a fan and give them fresh cool water. Put a damp towel over their body and take them to the vets office asap. Do not immerse your pet in cold water, it can cause them to go into shock.
- Never leave your pet in a car. Although most pets enjoy riding in cars, it is never a good idea to take them with you if your intentions are to leave them in the car, even if it is only for a few minutes. Most people think opening windows are enough to keep a pet safe, but during warmer months your pet can die in a short amount of time if left in the car. In less than 10 mins, your pet can develop heat stroke inside a hot car. It is also against the law in New York State to leave a pet inside a hot car. If you ever see an animal alone inside a vehicle, notify law enforcement immediately.
- You can also apply sunscreen to pets. Like humans, they can get sunburn too. Never use sunscreen unless it's approved for use on pets. Apply every 3-4 hours while your pets are outdoors. Apply to spots with little or no hair, such as bellies, ears and nose.
- Do not shave your pet. People tend to think shaving their pets hair keeps them cooler, when actually your pets coat is designed to keep them cool. You can trim their coat, but never shave it all off. Be sure to leave at least 1" to prevent sunburn.
- Don't walk your pet in the heat of the day. Early morning and late evening are the best times.
- Keep your pets paws cool. Protect your pets paws on hot surfaces such as cement and asphalt. Also remember metal gets very hot in the sun, so be careful of any metal in your car or truck.
- Never let your pet ride in the back of truck, it is unsafe and they could get seriously injured or die.
- Be sure to use proper protection against parasites.
- If you take your pet out on the water, be sure they are wearing a pet approved life vest.
- Keep fireworks away from pets. Fireworks are made with chemicals that are poisonous to pets if eaten. Be sure to clean up any fireworks in your yard before letting your pets outside. Most pets are very afraid of the loud sounds from fireworks and they will try to escape from fear. Be sure to place them in a safe place with plenty of fresh water and a comfortable bed. You can also purchase a Thunder Jacket which helps pets that suffer from anxiety for any reason. Another thing you can do is ask your vet to prescribe an anti-anxiety medicine, for you to have on hand for times your pet is suffering from anxiety.
- Thunderstorms can cause some dogs to become very anxious, which often leads to severe anxiety. The thunder is not the only thing that negatively affects pets, the barometric pressure and build up of static electricity in the air makes pets uncomfortable. This buildup occurs before an impending storm, which is why some pets will display signs of nervousness even before the first sound of thunder. Not all dogs are scared, but the ones that are will display signs that they are scared such as, shivering, whimpering, hiding and constant movement as if they are trying to escape. Your pets anxiety must be handled, or it can turn into a phobia. Signs include panicked and destructive behavior, such as soiling on carpeting or destroying furniture. Make sure all doors and windows are tightly closed so your pet can not escape.
Some things you can do to calm your pet during a thunderstorm
- Bring your pet into a room with no doors to outside and no windows, this can help reduce the static electricity.
- Put a thunder jacket on your pet, they reduce anxiety and stress in your pet.
- Ask your veterinarians office if they can prescribe an anti-anxiety medication, be sure to fill it and have it on hand ahead of time.
Commercial Restoration Services
Get Back To Normal Faster
When your business has been damaged by fire, water, or storm damage, the immediate concern should be temporary protective measures such as placing roof tarps to prevent additional damage, and boarding up to secure the building and remove water and debris.
After protecting and securing the structure, professionals at SERVPRO of Upper East Side can begin the restoration process. Your business may need reconstruction work to get your property back to its preloss condition.
The professionals at SERVPRO of Upper East Side can simplify the restoration process by handling both the initial damage mitigation and rebuilding the affected areas. Having one qualified company for the entire process can save time and keeps costs low.
SERVPRO of Upper East Side can provide this continuity by supervising a full range of restoration services that will bring a building back to full functionality.
- Board up
- Document Drying
- Dry Cleaning
- Drywall Installation
- Drywall Removal
- HVAC Services
- Carpet Repair and Installation
- Electronics Restoration
- Furniture Restoration
- Hardwood Floor Repair
- Move Out
- Roof Tarp
- Tree Removal
We are experts in removing Soot and Smoke Damage
We restore Smoke and Soot Damage
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home or business, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Upper East Side will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – SERVPRO of Upper East Side - 917-924-2260
Improve the Indoor Air Quality of your business
Indoor Air Quality
Maintaining workplace indoor air quality (IAQ), is important for good health and wellness of your employees and customers. Roughly 90% of our time is spent indoors and a large portion of that time is spent at work. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), regard indoor air pollution as a major problem. Most business owners don't realize the air circulating in the workplace is often filled with toxic compounds, that can cause health effects. Poor IDA can negatively affect productivity and increase absences among employees. What causes poor indoor air quality?
When there is a high percentage of moisture, it allows mold, bacteria and fungus to grow. Indoor relative humidity, should be kept between 30 and 50 percent.
Some common biological pollutants are bacteria, mold, dust mites, animal dander and pollen. Improper maintenance and cleaning of HVAC system can add to this issue.
Chemicals (gases and vapors) can come from many sources. Products such as, office equipment, furniture, wall and floor coverings release chemicals into the air. Products that enter the HVAC system from outdoors, products used during renovations and chemical spills. By-products, such as carbon monoxide, formaldehyde and nitrogen dioxide, are also known sources.
These are solid or liquid and non-biological, that are released into the air creating respiratory problems. The most common particles is dirt and dust, drywall dust, wood dust and silica.
What can you do to improve indoor air quality?
- Keep all air supply vents unblocked
- Clean spills immediately
- Store food properly
- Dispose of garbage properly
- Add some indoor plants
- Run commercial-grade air purifiers or air scrubbers and dehumidifiers to reduce moisture.
- Keep your workplace clean
- Have your carpets professionally cleaned
- Use eco-friendly cleaning products
- Open windows to allow fresh air to circulate
- Change HVAC filter regularly
- Commercial HVAC systems should be professionally cleaned every few years or sooner if needed.
- Put floor mats outside each entrance way and clean mats regularly
We are here to help improve the indoor air quality of your business.
Do you have Flood Insurance?
Do you have Flood Insurance?
The people of New York City didn't give much thought to Flood Insurance before Hurricane Sandy hit, but the storm proved how devastating the damage to structures can be from coastal flooding. Home Insurance polices cover other types of natural disasters, such as tornado's and lightning strikes, but flood damage is excluded. Flood Insurance, is a separate policy that you pay extra and in most cases you must specifically state that you want that additional coverage.
When to purchase Flood Insurance
If you live in a high-rise, you can safely skip flood insurance. Otherwise, flood insurance is highly advised, if it's not already required. If you live in a FEMA-defined floorplan or if you have a federally funded mortgage that sits in a high-risk flood area, you will be required to have flood insurance. Even if none of the above apply to you, you may still want to purchase a flood insurance policy. The first thing you should do is find out if you are at risk, by visiting FEMA, https://www.fema.gov/ to find out if you live in a flood zone. Even if it's determined that your risk is small, you still may want to protect your investment.
Why to Purchase Flood Insurance
If your home or business suffers a flood, the damage can be extensive and extremely costly. Just 1" of water, can cause $25K in damages. Having flood insurance ensures that you will be covered for losses/damage to your home or business and for the contents inside following a flood.
How to Purchase Flood Insurance
Most often you can purchase flood insurance from your existing insurer. You can check to see if they offer flood insurance here https://www.fema.gov/. Please note that flood insurance policies are only available in participating communities. You will also need to know what your flood zone is and your level of risk. Shopping around, knowing this information can get you the best rate. Keep in mind, this needs to be done in advance of any impending storms. Once the policy is purchased, it will take 30 days to come into effect. Before you sign the policy, be sure to look it over so you fully understand what is and isn't covered. You want your policy to cover damage to the structure, as well as the contents inside. If you purchase a building/structure policy, the contents will not be covered. In this case, you will need to purchase a separate policy to cover the contents inside.
Information for Renters
If you rent and have renters insurance, your policy does not cover flood damage. So, if you live in an area at risk and want to be covered in the event your home or business is flooded, you will want to invest in a flood insurance policy.
Flooding can prove costly and dangerous without immediate intervention and experienced IICRC-Certified technicians working quickly to help. We have helped those affected by considerable storm systems such as Hurricanes Katrina and Sandy. No matter what effects threaten your property, We’re Faster To Any Size Disaster.
Have Storm or Flood Damage?
Call Us Today (917) 924-2260
4 Steps To Deal With The Aftermath of Water Damage
FIrst 4 immediate steps to take if you have Water Damage
No homeowner wants to deal with a flood in their home, but having a plan of action in place will help take at least a little stress out of the situation.
If you ever experience a major water leak in your home, here are the steps to follow:
1.) Shut Off the Water Source
First and foremost, if you discover a major water leak in your home, you need to stop the flow of water. By doing this immediately, you may be able to prevent more damage from happening to your home. If you can easily identify the leak source and it has a shut off valve available, you may be able to simply turn off the water at that source.
2.) Contact Your Insurance Agent
After you have made sure no more water is getting in to the home, it’s time to call your insurance agent. There is a small chance you won’t want to file a claim for the damage, but that is highly unlikely. If your baseboards or walls have gotten wet, they need to be professionally dried out to prevent mold from growing in your walls, and that process can be thousands of dollars. You may want to describe what you are seeing to your agent and see if she recommends you start the claim process based on your deductible, but most times that answer is going to be a quick yes.
3.) Contact the Restoration Company
As soon as you get off the phone with your insurance agent, call the restoration company. If they are a good company, they should be able to get a team there within a couple hours to start removing water from the home. Mold can start growing very quickly.
4.) Document the Damage
When the restoration company arrives, they will likely show up with big trucks with lots of hoses and industrial vacuums to remove the water from the tile floors. If you have carpet, they will likely start tearing it out. They will probably start tearing off baseboards and door frames, and depending on how much saturation the water was able to do, they could start removing pieces of drywall and even cabinets.
Toilet Overflow Water Damage Cleanup
Toilet overflows are very common
Toilet overflows are a very common issue, but very few realize the hazards involved to themselves and their home if they attempt to handle the mess on their own. The water is contaminated and has the potential to make you and your family sick. It's important to act promptly to avoid further damage to your home and protect the health of your family. Very first step to take is to locate the shut off valve and turn it off to stop the flow of water and call SERVPRO of Upper East Side.
We are water damage specialists with specific training and expertise to safely restore your home or business. It's important to realize that it doesn't take a lot of water to cause extensive damage. A small amount of water can damage floor coverings, wood structures and walls and it doesn't take long for mold to set in and cause further damage.
1. When we arrive we access the category of water quality, which will fall into one of three categories:
- Clean Water - sanitary and doesn't pose a threat to your health. This is typically the case from a broken water line.
- Grey Water - contaminated and can cause illness
- Black Water - the most dangerous. Includes raw sewage, bacteria, fungus, causing illness
2. We will access the degree of damage:
- only wood floors, linoleum and tile is affected
- water has damaged the whole bathroom and/or other areas of the home
- all areas, including, insulation, furniture, carpeting, flooring, have been saturated with overflowing water
- stone, concrete and hardwood are saturated
3. Move or block furniture to prevent further damage
4. Begin water removal process
5. Once water and all wet materials have been removed, we start the drying process using air movers and dehumidifiers
6. Throughly clean and sanitize the affected area
We take photos before, during and after and accurately access the extent of damage to form an estimate for your insurance company.
Toilet Overflow? Call Us Today – (917) 924-2260
We are Cleaning Experts
We are cleaning experts here to help
During this unprecedented time caused by the global pandemic of coronavirus, this is a reminder to our customers that we are specialists in cleaning services, and we adhere to the highest cleaning and sanitation standards.
We are prepared to clean and disinfect your business, according to protocols set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. We have years of experience in dealing with biological contaminants, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform on a daily basis.
The CDC encourages cleaning of high-touch surfaces such as counters, tabletops, doorknobs, light switches, bathroom fixtures, toilets, phones, keyboards, tablets and tables. Other spaces mentioned in the CDC’s guidance for commercial spaces include:
- Kitchen/Food Areas
- Retail Spaces
- Water Fountains
- Sales Counters
- Carpets and Rugs
- Stair Handrails
- Elevator Cars
- Playground Equipment
- Fitness Equipment
The CDC recommends usage of a labeled hospital-grade disinfectant with claims against similar pathogens to the coronavirus. Multiple products in the SERVPRO product line carry the EPA-approved emerging pathogens claims. While there is currently no product tested against this particular strain of the coronavirus, we are following all guidelines as provided by the CDC and local authorities.
Call Today for a Proactive Cleaning
If your business needs deep cleaning services, call the experts today – SERVPRO of Upper East Side, 917-924-2260
Why Your Business Needs Flood Insurance
Do you have flood insurance coverage for your commercial business?
New York City businesses are prone to flooding year round, not just during hurricane season. Heavy rainfall can cause flooding due to "surcharged sewers" which occurs when sewers are overwhelmed during storms and rainwater has no place to go. New York City also experiences "sunny day flooding" in which high tides overflow into neighborhoods that are close to waterways.
Regular property insurance does not cover flood damage, a separate flood insurance policy is required for your business.
A business flood insurance policy covers damage to your building and contents caused by flooding.
This includes losses resulting from water damage caused by
- storm surge
- snow melt
- blocked storm drainage systems
- broken dams
- overflowing waterways
Your business flood insurance policy will also include coverage for repairing or replacing air conditioners, water heaters and electrical systems damaged by water.
Flood cleanup can be extensive and expensive, flood insurance can help cover the cost of replacement, as well as water damage repairs.
How to get a flood insurance policy
You can contact a private insurer or you can go through National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)
NFIP is an organization that refers you to an agency that can help you retain a Flood Insurance Policy.
There are many different Flood Insurance Policies, be sure to retain one for your business that has the coverage you will need.
Homeowners Insurance Only Covers Certain Types of Water Damage
Pipe leaking under the sink can create water damage
Most homeowners insurance policies help cover water damage if the cause is sudden and accidental. Homeowners insurance may help pay for repairs if for instance, your drywall is wet after your water heater ruptures or if an upstairs pipe bursts and water saturates the ceiling below.
Depending on the damage, two types of coverage within a homeowners insurance policy may apply.
Dwelling Coverage helps pay for damage to the structure of your home if it's damaged by a covered peril. So, if a pipe suddenly bursts and damages a wall, dwelling coverage may help pay for repairs.
Personal Property Coverage
Personal Property Coverage helps pay for damage to your belongings if they are damaged by a covered risk. So, if a pipe bursts and results in water damage to your computer or bookcase, personal property coverage may help pay to repair or replace the damaged items.
Keep in mind that a deductible will likely apply before your coverage kicks in. Also, coverage limits may apply. Read your policy to find out how much coverage you have. Your agent can help you adjust your coverage to fit your needs or answer questions about your policy.
DOES HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE COVER WATER DAMAGE FROM LEAKING PLUMBING?
Homeowners insurance may help cover damage caused by leaking plumbing if the leak is sudden and accidental, such as if a washing machine supply hose suddenly breaks or a pipe bursts. However, homeowners insurance does not cover damage resulting from poor maintenance. So, if damage results after you fail to repair a leaky toilet, for example, homeowners insurance likely will not pay for repairs.
WHAT TYPES OF WATER DAMAGE ARE NOT COVERED?
Homeowners insurance does not cover certain types of water damage.
Damage from Unresolved Maintenance Issues
Your homeowners insurance will probably help cover the cost of replacing or repairing a damaged floor, if your dishwasher malfunctions and causes a flood. Be aware that coverage generally will not kick in if the damage results from an unresolved maintenance issue, such as continuous leaking near a faucet or other plumbing fixture.
Replacing or Repairing the Source of the Water Damage
Most homeowners insurance policies will not cover the source of the water damage. So, while your policy may cover the cost of tearing out and replacing that damaged floor, you shouldn't expect it to cover the cost of replacing your broken dishwasher or washing machine.
Water Backup from an Outside Sewer or Drain
You also will not typically be covered by a traditional homeowners policy if water backs into your home through an outside sewer or drain. You may, however, be able to purchase additional sewer or water backup coverage that may help cover damage from that type of event.
No type of flood damage, no matter the source of the water, is covered by standard homeowners policies. Flooding, for example, can occur from storms, over-saturated ground, overflowing or surging bodies of water such as rivers, ponds, lakes and oceans. You may be able to purchase a separate flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program.
While it's important to keep up with home maintenance to help prevent damage from water, it's also a good idea to check with your agent about what is and is not covered by your homeowners policy. Be sure to inquire about any additional coverages that may be available to you.
If you think you have a mold problem, call SERVPRO of Upper East Side
Signs of Mold
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (917) 924-2260
Restoring Your Property After a Water Damage Event
Cleanup after commercial water damage event
Flooding and water damage events at commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Upper East Side
SERVPRO of Upper East Side specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.Rea
Macy's 2020 Fourth of July Firework Show
Fourth of July
Macy's 4th of July Firework show will still be taking place, but it will done differently this year, due to COVID-19. There will not be a single focal point, to avoid a lot of people gathering close to one another. The theme for this year's display is, MACY'S FIREWORKS - RE-IMAGINED. It will feature displays that will be unannounced in each of the five boroughs. They will not be giving exact locations, only information about specific points and very close to the actual moment when the show is about to happen. Each show will be approximately 5 minutes long. Everyone in the surrounding areas will be able to view the show from their homes, their own rooftops, nearby parks, etc. This was necessary to avoid people gathering together in large numbers, which could potentially cause the virus to spread.
THE SHOWS WILL BE WEATHER PERMITTING.
The shows will present professionally and each show will be beautiful. Pieces of each show will be filmed and put together with music and aired live on NBC, Saturday, July 4th. There will be tributes to all of America's heroes, that have been and continue to, put their life on the line to keep this country moving during the pandemic.
How to watch
- A celebration of America and New York, with a dazzling display to include music and dancing. Tune in to NBC Saturday, July 4, from 8PM-10PM and watch, along with family and friends.
The Musical Score
- This years music will feature a mix of patriotic anthems and pop. It will be a celebration of America and New York City's strength and perseverance, throughout this pandemic.
- They are working on putting together more entertainment for the show and trying to line up some stars and hosts. Click on the link below for updates.
If you'd like, you can tag #MACYSFIREWORKS on your social media posts, of any shots you take of the shows.
We can help you be ready to reopen safely
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned
New York City will be entering Phase 1 of reopening on June 8, 2020. NYC was the only region that did not qualify to reopen on May 29, 2020, due to the spread of virus being the worse throughout the city. NYC is going to be required to follow very strict guidelines to prevent a second wave of the virus.
As NYC reopens, all businesses must adhere to strict hygiene and health protocols and practice social distancing.
Rules are as follows:
- Social distancing
- PPE - face coverings/face shields
- Hygiene - frequent cleaning and disinfecting of all shared surfaces
- Health screenings - temperature checks
- Communication - Create distance markers, post signs reminding employees to adhere to Phase 1 rules
Reopening divides businesses into four categories:
- Retail (limited to curbside, in-store pickup or delivery)
- Wholesale Trade
- Professional Services (finance and Insurance)
- Administrative Support
- Real Estate
- Rental and Leasing
- Food Services
CDC and the United States Government is requiring businesses to focus on cleaning and disinfecting public spaces, workplaces, businesses, schools, as well as homes. This will require you to:
- Develop a plan
- Implement your plan
- Maintain and revise your plan
The goal is to reduce the risk of exposure to COVID-19 and the best way to do that is by cleaning and disinfection. SERVPRO of Upper East Side has ushered in a new standard of clean program, Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, our new defensive pathogen cleaning program, goes way beyond standard janitorial cleaning practices. This is proactive viral pathogen cleaning. With over 50 years of experience in biochemical spill remediation and decontamination, you can trust SERVPRO of Upper East Side Professionals to bring a higher standard of clean to the places we gather. Your employees and customers will know your business is Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, by a cling shield we will post on the front door/window of your business. This beacon represents a businesses commitment to the comfort and security of your employees, customers and as well the community as a whole.
If you want your business to be Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, call today to learn more. (917) 924-2260
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned – a defensive cleaning program
Our defensive cleaning program gives your business a way forward by providing your employees and customers ongoing safety and assuredness.
Let us help you get back to business
As our communities re-open, we’re all moving back toward a new kind of normal. The expectations of visitors, customers, and employees who come into our establishments have evolved, and staying safe and well is a top concern. The global COVID-19 pandemic has changed what it means to be clean, and we’ve developed a program to help your business meet the new higher standard of clean that is now expected.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is a defensive cleaning program we’re offering to businesses and commercial locations to address the current COVID-19 pandemic. This proactive viral pathogen cleaning program goes well beyond janitorial or carpet cleaning. By choosing Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you, your employees, your customers, and your community can rest assured that you’ve selected a higher cleaning standard – you are Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned.
Extensive training and specialized products
As the #1 choice in cleanup and restoration*, we stand on more than 50 years of experience and expertise to help your business become Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned. Beyond fire & water, SERVPRO professionals are trained and experienced in biohazard decontamination and chemical spills – always adhering to the cleaning and decontamination standards set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local authorities.
From formulating and creating our proprietary cleaning products, like SERVPROXIDE, at our headquarters in Gallatin, TN, to taking the utmost care while disinfecting, we will ensure you and your business are set up to inspire consumer confidence as the economy continues to reopen.
3 C’s – Consult, Clean, and Certify
When the stakes are this high, you want a partner who has developed an industry leading, proprietary training program, cleaning solutions, and remediation processes over decades. We’ve cleaned up some of the most challenging biohazards imaginable. Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned reflects our unique experiences and capabilities. The program is grounded with our unique 3 C’s: Consult, Clean, and Certify.
- Consult – Every business is different, which is why you’ll be assigned a Cleaning Protocol Consultant who understands your business and will create a cleaning program to meet your specific needs. This program will be developed based on your business type, size of space, amount of high frequency touchpoints, foot traffic and congestion points.
- Clean – Based on your specific business needs, your location will undergo a thorough, deep clean, using exclusive cleaning products, according to protocols set forth by the CDC. Our employees have years of experience, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform. Cleanup procedures generally include cleaning of porous and non-porous surfaces, disinfecting of non-porous surfaces, cleaning and disinfecting of equipment, tools, and/or supplies used for cleanup process, and disposal of hazardous materials. In the event of a suspected or confirmed COVID-19 event, we will be there cleaning within 24 hours to ensure you get back to business as quickly as possible.
- Certify - Once your business location has been Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you will gain access to proprietary signage, digital emblems, and other collateral that communicates that you’ve selected a higher standard of clean available to help protect your employees and customers. And because we add the day, month, and year to that proprietary stamp of clean, your guests will know that not only did you choose Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, but that your location is being cleaned regularly at this standard.
Call today for a Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation
We’re Here to Help – 24 hours a day, seven days a week – until life is back to normal in the communities we all call home.
Call SERVPRO of Upper East Side today at [917-924-2260] for your Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation.
* #1 Choice in cleanup & restoration based Commercial Attitude & Usage Tracking study. Polling 816 commercial business decision makers on first choice for future needs related to cleanup & restoration work. Study conducted by C&R Research: October 2019
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned means professionally trained SERVPRO franchises perform the requested cleaning, sanitizing and disinfection services according to proprietary SERVPRO protocols and recognized industry and CDC standards with EPA approved cleaning products to deliver a SERVPRO certified cleaning experience. Each SERVPRO franchise is independently owned and operated.
Do you have a plan in place to reopen your business?
The plan to reopen New York
The plan to reopen New York has been named, "New York Forward." The main focus is getting people back to work and easing social isolation, without restarting the spread of the virus. Business owners have a responsibility to implement processes to lower the risk of infection in the workplace.
Businesses will be required to submit plans for keeping workers and customers safe under the state reopening guideline. Here are some of the priorities that will need to be included in their plan, before any business or industry reopens:
1. Protect their employees and customers:
This includes enacting social distancing protocols, possibly adjusting workplace hours to reduce density and restricting non-essential travel for their employees.
2. Implement changes to the physical workspace:
Requiring all employees and customers to wear masks and following the CDC's strict guidelines for cleaning and sanitation.
3. Execute a plan that meets our changing public health obligations:
Screening all employees when they report to work. Putting a notice at the entry of their business to alert employees and customers, if there are any known confirmed cases after opening for business.
The primary focus is on cleaning and disinfecting all businesses and public spaces and that will require you to:
- Develop a plan
- Implement a plan
- Maintain and revise your plan
The main goal is to reduce the risk of exposure to COVID-19, which requires cleaning with an EPA-approved disinfectant.
SERVPRO of Upper East Side is here to help you be ready to reopen. We are specialists in cleaning services, and we adhere to the highest cleaning and sanitation standards. The CDC recommends usage of a labeled hospital-grade disinfectant with claims against similar pathogens to the coronavirus. Multiple products in the SERVPRO product line carry the EPA-approved emerging pathogens claims. While there is currently no product tested against this particular strain of the coronavirus, we are following all guidelines as provided by the CDC and local authorities. Our crew also wear appropriate PPE for cleaning and disinfecting.
We have been receiving many calls inquiring about our services regarding professional cleanings and appointments are being scheduled. If you are interested in a professional proactive cleaning for your home or business, call the cleaning experts today – SERVPRO of Upper East Side, 917-924-2260
Mold Is Everywhere
Mold is a naturally occurring substance, and it is a form of fungus. Mold produces spores, which spread by floating around in the air. They are everywhere and can not be eliminated from indoor air. Mold spores are usually not a problem, unless they come in contact with moisture. Once in contact with moisture, they need food and oxygen to grow. Mold spores thrive where it is moist and warm, so when they land on something wet, they multiply and that is when mold becomes a problem. Unchecked, mold growth can cause severe damage to your home and business, as well as your belongings and worst of all, can cause health effects.
Mold can live and grow on any organic matter. Some examples of where mold can grow are, clothing, leather, paper, ceilings, floors, walls, showers, window sills and even glass. In some cases, mold growth may not be obvious. Area's that are often damp, such as laundry rooms, bathrooms and basements, are common areas for mold growth. Some signs that may indicate you have a mold problem are, water stains, discoloration on walls, floors or ceilings or if you notice bubbling or peeling paint. You may also notice a musty, moldy odor.
If you suspect you have a mold problem, contact SERVPRO of Upper East Side, 917-924-2260. We are available 24 hours a day. Every team member of our crew has IICRC certifications as Applied Microbial Remediation Technicians. This accreditation ensures the training and experience of each team member in addressing mold growth.
APRIL SHOWERS COULD RESULT IN WATER DAMAGE
Rainy day in New York City
Statistically speaking, April is not the rainiest month, but rainfall is more frequent in April. More rain increases the chance of water entering your home or business and causing damage. The most common and destructive type of water damage is most often rain related. Some of the more common ways rain can enter, is through cracks in basement walls, from around windows and doors or from a roof leak. Once moisture enters, mold is sure to follow if immediate action is not taken. It's very important to respond to these emergencies promptly, so we can increase the chances of restoring what has been damaged as opposed to replacing which can be costly. Our response team at SERVPRO of Upper East Side is available 24/7 to provide you with exceptional service. We will arrive fully prepared with our extraction and drying equipment and do all we can to make it "Like it never even happened."
Here Is What You Should Do For Your Fire Damage Situation in Manhattan
Don't let fire damage take over your home. Call SERVPRO today for fire damage restoration assistance.
The Purpose of Pack-Outs for Your Fire-Damaged Manhattan Home
Protecting the belongings and items within your fire-damaged Manhattan apartment can be challenging, especially when the effects from the disaster can spread so quickly through the unit. Instead of fixating on the contents of your property that you can preserve and save when disaster strikes, it is advisable to get you and your family to safety first. Professional restoration technicians and cleaners can make the retrieval and restoration of damaged items, belongings, furniture, and fabrics within your apartment a priority of the mitigation process that happens alongside a thorough inspection and assessment of the property.
Pack-outs are a vital component to the mitigation work that our team can do for fire damage in your Manhattan apartment. We arrive with production trailers full of packing materials, boxes, blankets, and other protective gear to keep the contents removed from your property safe through the travel to our nearby facility. While much of the restoration work by our SERVPRO team can happen onsite, many individual contents require specialized attention, cleaning, and deodorization, that best occurs in our care.
Once your items and furniture arrive at our facility, we often work first to clean soot and smoke residue staining. We have multiple approaches to this focused cleaning effort; the ultrasonic cleaning tank is one of the more effective options for the contents that can get submerged in liquid safely. Once we have removed soot and smoke particulates from the items, we can shift focus to deodorization.
Again, there are multiple approaches to removing the harsh fire odors from the contents removed from your apartment. An ozone chamber can allow our SERVPRO recovery team to address multiple items and contents at once, introducing an environment with an added molecule of oxygen that can bond molecularly with the odor to neutralize it.
The pack-out process can save many of the at-risk or already damaged items and furniture throughout your apartment after a fire. Our SERVPRO of Upper East Side rapid response team has effective mitigation approaches that can save you money and protect your belongings until they can safely get returned to your restored property. Give us a call anytime at (917) 924-2260.
Click here for more information about the city of Manhattan.
Is There Water Damage in Your Manhattan High Rise?
What is the best way to restore a water damaged high rise? Call SERVPRO!
Protecting Your High-Rise Manhattan Apartment from Water Damages
Water loss incidents that can occur in the high rises lining the eastern side of Central Park in Manhattan and throughout the blocks beyond it can be incredibly damaging to the building. Regardless of the source of this incident, the effects can spread through joined walls to affect multiple units simultaneously, not to mention, spread throughout the entirety of the initially affected apartment. Addressing the effects of a water loss incident must occur quickly to prevent unnecessary demolition and reconstruction and to prevent the spread of these effects further through the building.
Water damage in your Manhattan high rise apartment can come in multiple layers, stretching far beyond exposure to the structural elements and construction materials. Understanding the full impact of water saturation and secondary effects that could occur can help to encourage property owners to respond to these emergencies quickly by reaching out to the 24/7 SERVPRO response team that remains prepared to handle the full spread of these effects. We approach these situations with advanced machines and tools and a roster of IICRC-certified Water Restoration and Applied Structural Drying Technicians.
One of the most pressing effects of water loss incidents is the saturation of construction materials and structural elements. The longer drywall, flooring, and other components can remain saturated, the more likely that they become irreparably damaged or unsalvageable when restoration work begins. Addressing these concerns begins with a thorough inspection of the affected elements by our SERVPRO estimator and management.
We can arrive with the full measure of our extraction and drying equipment, helping us to get started immediately on protecting and preserving the portions of your property that we can. We understand how quickly these effects can spread to neighboring units, so we work to install as many high-velocity air movers and dehumidifiers as are necessary to completely prevent the spread of effects and begin efficiently removing moisture from structural components.
While there are multiple layers to the damage that water can do in your high-rise apartment, our SERVPRO of Upper East Side can help. Let us show you how we can make water loss incidents “Like it never even happened.” Give us a call anytime at (917) 924-2260.
Read more about things to see in Manhattan here.
We Have Fire Suppression Systems Waiting To Clean Up Your Upper East Side Fire Damage
This fire was devastating and our team worked hard to get their home stabilized and cleaned up. Call us right away.
Cleaning Fire Suppressant Residue from Your Upper East Side Apartment
Fire suppression systems are vital to protecting not only your apartment on the Upper East Side but those connected to your residence as well. With so much at stake, suppression systems need to be thorough, direct, and often much more powerful than necessary to fully extinguish the flames. While the fast reaction of your system to respond to changing conditions like a fire can help to preserve and protect your property and your neighbors’, it can often leave quite a mess for professional restoration technicians like ours to address in the recovery and mitigation of your apartment.
While there are many varieties of fire suppression devices and systems to help reduce fire damage to your Upper East Side property, many of the modern renovations and new constructions feature dry powder suppressions. Some models have an intelligent response to emergencies, reacting only in the areas currently affected by the fire rather than causing all receivers to respond simultaneously like an apartment sprinkler system would. Our SERVPRO team can respond quickly, 24/7, to help address the effects of a dry powder suppression system on your apartment.
Our team can arrive with the full measure of cleaning equipment like high-powered vacuums to begin pulling up loose sediment and chemicals. We can work to clear off heavy concentrations on counters, walls, flooring, and other areas where the excess would collect. We also have personal protective equipment to keep our team safe throughout the cleanup process, as the ingesting or sometimes direct exposure to these dry chemicals can be a hazard.
The SERVPRO professionals that respond to the cleaning of fire damage in your property can also assess damages that could have occurred before the suppression engaged. We can remove damaged structural elements and construction materials with controlled demolition techniques, helping to ensure that reconstruction efforts and build back are quick and simple to begin.
For as vital of a role as dry chemical powder suppression systems have in protecting your property from fire, cleaning up after it can be a challenge. Let our SERVPRO of Upper East Side make the effects of fire damage and these extinguishing methods “Like it never even happened.” by calling (917) 924-2260.
Click here for more information about the different types of sight seeing you can discover in NYC.
Commercial loss- many floors of building
This picture is from on of our newest jobs, that had many floors affected by water.
We form great relationships with property management companies, and owners of buildings.
This one property management company has tons of commercial and residential buildings all through out New York City. They rely on us every time there is any issues in any of their buildings.
They tend to have water damages quite often, affecting many levels of their buildings.
We love having this type of relationship with companies, where we trust one another and know we can always count on each other.
When it comes to many floors being affected in a building, you need to trust the company you bring in to get the job done promptly and correctly.
Always keep us in mind, even if you have 100 floors affected. We have the man power to deal with any kind of loss!
Mold in cars!
The process of removing mold from a car.
I know you may be thinking, can mold really occur in cars? The answer is yes, and more often than you'd think.
We get called in quite often to deal with mold in cars so that they can be cleaned up, and then sold.
It's a process that requires many steps, but can most definitely be done in one day. After we do all the steps to clean up the car and remove the mold, we make sure to test it. Once we get the test back that says mold is no longer present, then they are good to go on selling the car.
If you feel you aren't sure if mold is present, then you can ask a professional to come and check it out. That's what we are here for!
Containment up for mold.
This home in New York City called us in on a huge mold job! They needed a ton of containment to keep the area contained to just where the mold already was.
We have to put up containment in these situations to make sure no other places are infected with mold.
It's important to remember that mold can come at any time. This whole winter we've had a ton of mold jobs, which isn't every year, but has been the most common for us this season.
Pay attention to your household, or office building. You will notice different smells, and may notice yourself coughing or wheezing. This can easily be due to mold growth in the area. It's an allergen so it can very well give you allergy feelings.
First day of Spring! Thunderstorms!
Today is the first day of Spring, but that just means those random thunderstorms are right around the corner!
Don't get caught not being prepared for these kinds of storms. They can cause many water leaks, and even damaged windows.
If you know you may be prone to leaks, try to stabilize the area before you go out to live your day to day life. We know it's unrealistic for you to always know what may happen in a storm, but just pay close attention. Maybe even keep our phone number in your cellphone so you can call us right away if need be!
No one expects to always be prepared for every disaster or problem that can happen! But with us on your side, you at least can feel safe.
Rugs with water damage.
White rug damaged from water in bedroom.
Usually when rugs get water damage, we try to take them to a professional carpet cleaner to fix the problem. In this customer's circumstance, they wanted us to dry the rug and see where to go from there.
This happens quite often and then we need to send out the rug. It can take some time, but if the damage isn't too bad then we can just handle it all on our end.
Time is of the essence. A water damage of my own actually destroyed my rug so badly that I didn't think it was worth trying to save it. Every circumstance is different. For me, it just didn't seem worth the time or money so I went and bought a new one. It's up to the customer to decide when it comes to personal items.
Protecting desks after water damage
Desks covered after a water damage.
This office building had a water damage, that required a ton of time and we needed to remove parts of the ceilings. When we are doing that type of removal, we must protect the items that are in the area we are working in. If we can't remove everything in the area, such as these desks, then we make sure to cover them.
The protective covering keeps the desks okay, while we get our work done. None of the desks were affected, and we were able to uncover them after doing our work and they were intact. Business went right back to usual after we were done.
Did a water damage happen in your building? Give us a call! Our men can handle it all!
Commercial building with hanging wires.
Hanging wires can be a scary site, especially when you don't know where they're coming from or what they do.
This commercial building had quite a few different issues, but this was a very big one. As you do not want wires just hanging from ceilings. We have professionals that we can also come in if it's an electrical issue at all.
Remember that this is all a team effort! You need to put trust in us, but also others that we recommend.
If you ever have an issue with someone that is on site, then definitely let us know! We won't you to feel comfortable in the whole process.
These wires were put back in place and everything went back to normal!
Avoid kitchen fires!!
Kitchen fire at a restaurant.
Many of the fires we get called into begin in the kitchen. Most people would say they expect that to be the case, since the kitchen has stoves and microwaves. When you have items that can cause fires, of course that's where most the fire problems would start!
Simple mishaps can cause problems! That's why we say to always pay attention and do not leave fire alone. Even a few seconds it can happen, and you will be in emergency mode.
Stay focused while you are in the kitchen. Keep clothing and other flammable items far from flames. Don't take it for granted that it won't happen to you, because most people don't think it will. Attentiveness goes a long way!
Checking for mold
As you can see, mold is not always right in your face. But this family could smell it in there closet after a water loss, so we came and handled it.
Some people assume that if you can not see mold, then it is not there. It is important to pay attention to new smells, ones that are potent and may sting the nostrils.
Again, you may not be able to see the mold with the naked eye but a trained professional would know right away. So if you do feel like you smell something, or your eyes are watering, give us a call. Best to check and make sure, that way it won't get any worse.
SERVPRO of Upper East Side knows right away when we go into a building what needs to be done. Just make sure to call us right away! (917) 924-2260 That's an urgency! Mold can be very bad for your health.
Commercial Water Restoration Repair
Residential water damage can be costly for any homeowner. Yet commercial water damage restoration can cost companies even more.Water damage can cause extensive damage to any size property. Commercial property is generally a larger area than residential properties, thus causing more damage in the same amount of time.
Whether it is roof leaks, flooding or natural disasters, you need to make sure you act quickly when your property has become damaged by water. Commercial water damage restoration is a large feat to tackle and needs to be handled by a professional restoration service.
Commercial Water Damage Repair
There are many steps that need to be taken when dealing with commercial water damage restoration. Companies can choose to use different techniques when cleaning and restoring.
-Water mitigation is the first step. You must clear out all standing water before you proceed to any restoration.
– De-humidification and moisture control helps with the buildings moisture levels. Your space will never dry out unless it is ventilated properly.
-Temporary air conditioners and cooling towers can be added as well. These machines will control temperatures and climate within your building. This will prevent mold and mildew from forming in and on porous materials.
-Odor control will be taken into account when dealing with commercial water damage restoration as well. If mold and mildew has started to form, it will take a professional to preform the cleaning process to eliminate odors and toxic smells.
-Temporary roofing can be a possibility when it comes to weather related damage.
-Board ups are essential to keep further damage from happening to your building. This allows damaged walls and windows to temporarily be fixed so the cleaning and restoration process starts quickly.
Many restoration companies will work with your insurance company to lessen the stress during the restoration process. The cleaning process can last anywhere from a week to many months depending on the amount of damage. Restoration companies like SERVPRO of Upper East Side will make sure your property is handled in a timely manner. The faster the water is extracted and cleaned, the less money you will spend while saving time. Like stated before, mold and mildew can start to grow if not dealt with quickly. Make sure to find a company that can handle all your commercial water damage needs.
Many floods and sewage backup can contain many deadly bacteria’s and just the slightest skin contact can leave a person seriously ill. A certified water damage restoration service not only has the tools to eliminate the moisture, they also have the right knowledge to get your commercial building back up and running again and giving your employees a safe environment to work in the New York Metropolitan area.
The amount of damaged water can cause can happen is astounding, and often times it is underestimated by us commercial owners. Excess moisture is already bad enough, but when your commercial building is flooded or hit with a burst pipe, the situation can get out of hand way too fast. This is one of many reasons why these accidents are by far the most expensive problems a commercial owner can face. Contaminated water does not only create structural problems to your building, it can leave serious threats behind after it has been removed from your property.
4 Critical Steps in Preventing Commercial Water Damage
Take the necessary steps to be prepared for any disaster that may occur to your business. Always have a Plan B ready to go.
We’ve all been asked the question, “In a fire, what would you grab first?” For a homeowner, that’s an easy answer. Most of us would choose precious keepsakes, photos, and a few prized possessions. However, when disaster comes knocking on the door of a business, there can be dozens of critical documents, files, records, and technical equipment that are indispensable in the smooth flow of business operations.
1. Do your Research
Some municipalities have information on certain flood and sewer back-up prevention programs that are tax deductible for business owners.
2. Conduct Regular Inspections
The components of a commercial building are diverse and complex. Unlike residential property, commercial buildings tend to have major external HVAC components, roofs decorated with an array of pipes and fans, and large utility rooms. This equipment can be intimidating for many. The best way to keep the harrowing weather outside is to hire a professional to conduct frequent and thorough inspections. Although the building may be in great condition four times out of five, the occasional adjustment or repair can save hundreds in water damage restoration costs.
3. Locate shut-off valves
Without peeking at an emergency plan, our team members in the building able to identify where major water shut-off valves are? If they aren’t easily accessible, does every employee know who in the building to contact in case of an unexpected water
overflow or pipe burst? In a high-stress situation, most individuals are only able to recall previously learned information rather than think on their feet. A few minutes to locate shut-off valves will ensure proper performance when it counts. If you don’t have an Emergency Ready Plan for your business, reach out to one of SERVPRO service members to help you set one up for you free of charge. You’ll never know when a disaster might strike. Call SERVPRO of Upper East Side 917-924-2260 and ask for Chris Garcia.
4. Keep Valuable Stock Secure
Even with intensive preparation, water doesn’t pick favorites. Naturally, the last items you want to jeopardize are your business’s critical documents, paperwork, and brainstormed plans. This can be as extensive as purchasing a company safe or as simple as obtaining waterproof file cabinet that sits a few feet above the ground.
Residential vs Commercial Water Damage
The big difference between homes and businesses is the type of carpet that gets wet. Residential Water Damages usually have carpet over padding. Not only is the carpet water damaged, but the padding is soaked in many cases or at least wet. The usual process is to remove the carpet from the floor and remove the padding. Then remove the tack strip that holds the carpet down. Many homeowners forget to remove the tack strip and when they add a carpet fan to dry the carpet, the tack strip can actually rip a hole in the carpet as the carpet is flapping up and down.
Commercial buildings usually have wet carpet that is glued to the floor which means there is no padding. Although that is good in one way, it creates another issue. The other issue is getting the bottom of the carpet that is glued to the floor to dry.
Most carpet cleaners and cleaning janitorial companies use an air mover that blows on the carpet to dry the carpet. The problem is that the air mover also known as a carpet fan only dries the surface of the carpet. The problem becomes bigger because unknown to the property manager, carpet cleaner, and janitorial service the bottom of the carpet is wet. The moisture underneath the carpet (remember that the carpet is glued to the floor and no one can feel underneath the carpet) will be a feeding ground for mold and bacteria. Building management professionals will know it's a problem a few days later as they smell a foul odor. That odor is the growth of bacteria and mold growing.
Unless you have a moisture meter to determine if the carpet is wet underneath, you have to assume that the carpet is dry by feeling the surface of the carpet. As we have just learned, that becomes a liability and opportunity for tenants and employees to complain and possibly bring legal action.
Drying underneath the carpet and preventing mold damage and bacteria growth is actually very easy. Remember that mold normally (but not always) takes 36 to 72 hours to start to grow. There are molds that grow faster, but this an average time period for most molds. This information tells us that we have some time to work fast to prevent an issue. Please also remember that this process can be used by untrained and uncertified employees for wet carpet areas less than a 3 feet x 3 feet. Any wet carpet areas more than this will need a IICRC certified professional.
First take the same air mover that you used to dry the wet area and actually keep the air mover on for another 24 hours after the carpet feels dry. You will need to purchase a moisture meter that will test the bottom of the carpet After 24 hours the carpet should read dry, but if not let it run another 24 hours. The reason you can dry underneath the carpet without taking the carpet up, is because through osmosis, drying the surface of the carpet will " suck " the moisture from the bottom of the carpet to the top. Removing the moisture will reduce the possibility of mold and bacteria growth.
There are more differences between drying a water damage in a home and in a commercial building such as fire walls, computer systems, complicated furniture.
Hospitals and pharmaceutical companies and other sensitive manufacturing companies have compounded issues. Because of concerns of dust and mold these issues may interfere with patients' health and manufacturing processes.
The bottom line is to be careful when hiring a water damage restoration clean up company. It's best for commercial property management to start searching now and creating emergency plans to make sure they have all needs covered. Planning your water damage recovery when the pipes burst is not the best way.
The difference between flash flood watch and a warning
What's the Difference Between a Flash Flood Watch and Warning?
Tornadoes, lightning, hurricanes — all forms of severe weather can be deadly if proper safety precautions aren't taken. Flash floods are particularly threatening, and besides heat-related deaths, they cause more fatalities each year than any other climate hazard.
If you live in a region where flash floods are common, stay safe by learning the difference between a flood watch and warning, as well as what to do when a flash flood is likely to occur.
It's a Matter of Degrees, but Both Situations are Cause for Concern
It's important to understand the difference between a flash flood warning and flash flood watch. It's also important to know that the definitions of these two alerts differ from the definitions of warnings and watches given for other severe-weather conditions, such as hurricanes. And you definitely shouldn't assume you know the difference between watch and warning just because you're are familiar with winter storms.
- A flash flood watch is issued first. It means that current weather conditions are favorable for flooding. While a watch does not a guarantee that a flash flood will occur, it is a very good indication that your community will experience severe weather.
- A flash flood warning means a flash flood is either imminent or occurring. In fact, a flash flood can occur so quickly that there isn't time to send out a flood warning alert.
What Should I Do in a Flash Flood?
Most flash-flood fatalities occur because people either underestimate the power of fast-moving water or they are not prepared for an emergency situation. Follow these six tips before and during a flash flood to keep your family safe during severe weather.
- Have an emergency plan and kit ready to go. If you're forced to evacuate, you need to know where to go. Learn the highways that are safe to travel during a flood and which roads are likely to collect water. It's good to have an escape plan formed before imminent danger so you can quickly reach safe territory during flood conditions. Also, prepare and store an easily accessible emergency kit, packed with essentials like flashlights and a phone charger for your car.
- Stay up to date on weather forecasts. If you have a mobile device, you're likely to receive a Wireless Emergency Alert (WEA) during flash-flood conditions. It's still a good idea to be aware of possible of severe weather before these alerts are sent out. The more notice you have, the better prepared you can be for weather hazards.
- Don't wait until a warning to take action. As soon as you know a flash flood is likely to occur, take action. Depending on where you live, this might mean evacuating to safer territory – just disconnect utilities and appliances first. It might also mean getting off the road and finding higher ground.
- Follow evacuation orders immediately. You don't have to wait for orders to evacuate, but once these orders are given, you should follow them immediately.
- Move to the highest point possible and call 911 for help. If it's too late to evacuate your home, move your family to the attic or highest point possible and call 911 for help.
- Do not drive or walk near flooded areas. Over half of flood-related deaths occur when people drive their vehicles into flood water. The next highest percentage of drownings are caused when individuals try walking into or near flood waters, according to the Center for Diesease Control and Prevention . It only takes six inches of fast-moving water to knock over most adults and 12 inches of fast-moving water to carry away smaller vehicles. Never try to walk or drive through a flooded area. Turn around – don't drown!
Safety Tips during Thunderstorms
Always be Safe
How to stay safe indoors during a thunderstorm:
During an electrical storm, avoid:
- Avoid using a land line phone. Land line-base lightning strikes are the leading cause of indoor lightning injuries in the United States.
- Avoid having any contact with appliances connected to your plumbing, because it is typically tied to your home's electrical service for grounding.
- Avoid all contact with you home's plumbing, including the shower, bath, and sinks during an electrical storm.
- Avoid all windows and doors or standing outside on porches.
How to stay safe outside in a thunderstorm:
- Find shelter immediately in a substantial and enclosed building or a metal-topped vehicle, convertibles do not provide protection.
- If you can hear thunder, you are close enough to be struck.
- Get away from isolated trees.
- Climb down and away from hilltops and other elevated areas.
- Stay away from objects and things that conduct electricity such as metal fences, power lines, or phone poles.
- Never lie flat in a field. You can still be hit through a ground-current strike.
Flood Season Is Here
Preparing for Floods
Water can be a nightmarish foe. Inside your home, less than one inch of standing water can cause thousands of dollars in damage by destroying wood-products and sheet rock, and providing an environment for mold. Outside in motion, water is incredibly powerful. One cubic yard weighs over 1,700 pounds. A mere 6 inches (that's 31.21 pounds) of water can knock an adult off their feet. Flood waters can plow through earthen dams, pull homes off their foundations and destroy them, sweep cars swiftly downstream, knock out power lines, and contaminate drinking water for weeks. Floods are the number one widespread natural disaster in the US and they often happen due to heavy rain fall from multiple storms or hurricanes.
What is a flash flood?
A flash flood occurs when powerful storms drop several inches of rain in one hour, the ground will not be able to absorb water fast enough. This produces heavy runoff that can quickly flood low-lying areas in less than 6 hours. Just one inch of rain over one acre of land can produce 27,154 gallons. That's over 100 tons of water suddenly on the move, carrying mud, boulders, and other debris. Flash flooding in urbanized and other paved areas can produce extreme flooding quickly, turning highway underpasses, underground parking third highest weather-related killer in the US.
How to keep safe during a flood:
Listen to the news and weather reports. NOAA Weather Radio All Hazards (NWR) broadcasts continuous weather information directly from the nearest National Weather Service office.
Listen for flood watches/warnings in your area. If your home is located in a flood plain or low-lying area prone to flooding, consider packing an emergency supply kit and personal items and evacuating to higher ground.
Protect your possessions and gather records:
- Copies of insurance policies with you agent's contact information
- Document and take photos of all household items and valuables.
- Copies of social security cards, passports, finance records and receipts of major purchases.
If your area is flooding or is flooded, stay out of flood waters as much as possible.
- Eating or drinking anything contaminated by flood water can cause diarrhoeal disease.
- Open wounds and rashes exposed to flood waters can become infected.
- Flood waters can displace animals and reptiles, including dangerous snakes.
How to Identify Mold
Do you believe you have mold growing?
Mold is everywhere. It’s a type of fungus that grows from tiny spores that float in the air. It can grow almost anywhere that spores land and find moisture and a comfortable temperature, between 40 and 100 degrees F. Typically that includes about every damp place in your home.
You can easily spot the most visible type of mold, called mildew, which begins as tiny, usually black spots but often grows into larger colonies. It’s the black stuff you see in the grout lines in your shower, on damp walls, and outdoors on the surfaces of deck boards and painted siding, especially in damp and shady areas. A mildewed surface is often difficult to distinguish from a dirty one. To test for mildew, simply dab a few drops of household bleach on the blackened area. If it lightens after one to two minutes, you have mildew. If the area remains dark, you probably have dirt.
Mildew is a surface type of mold that won’t damage your home’s structure. But other types of mold cause rot. If the wood is soft or crumbles, the fungi have taken hold and rot has begun.
If you have a high concentration of mold, you may smell it. If you detect the typical musty odor, check for mold on damp carpets, damp walls, damp crawlspaces and wet wood under your floors, wet roof sheathing and other damp areas. Clean up these infestations right away before they get worse, and see the following photos for prevention measures on how to remove mold.
Never skipped out on having a fire sting wisher in your own home or business, They can save lives. No one is an exception.
A portable fire extinguisher can save lives and property by putting out a small fire or containing it until the fire department arrives; but portable extinguishers have limitations. Because fire grows and spreads so rapidly, the #1 priority for residents is to get out safely.
- Use a portable fire extinguisher when the fire is confined to a small area, such as a wastebasket, and is not growing; everyone has exited the building; the fire department has been called or is being called; and the room is not filled with smoke.
- To operate a fire extinguisher, remember the word PASS:
- Pull the pin. Hold the extinguisher with the nozzle pointing away from you, and release the locking mechanism.
- Aim low. Point the extinguisher at the base of the fire.
- Squeeze the lever slowly and evenly.
- Sweep the nozzle from side-to-side.
- For the home, select a multi-purpose extinguisher (can be used on all types of home fires) that is large enough to put out a small fire, but not so heavy as to be difficult to handle.
- Choose a fire extinguisher that carries the label of an independent testing laboratory.
- Read the instructions that come with the fire extinguisher and become familiar with its parts and operation before a fire breaks out. Local fire departments or fire equipment distributors often offer hands-on fire extinguisher trainings.
- Install fire extinguishers close to an exit and keep your back to a clear exit when you use the device so you can make an easy escape if the fire cannot be controlled. If the room fills with smoke, leave immediately.
- Know when to go. Fire extinguishers are one element of a fire response plan, but the primary element is safe escape. Every household should have a home fire escape plan and working smoke alarms.
Prevent Mold From growing in your home.
Mold. The very word is enough to make a person cringe.Mold spores spread easily and cannot be completely eradicated.
Mold can grow anywhere: on carpet, clothing, food, paper, and even in places you can't see, such as the backside of drywall, areas inside walls around leaking or condensing pipes, and above ceiling tiles.
Not only is a mold problem difficult and costly to fix, but mold can also produce allergens and irritants that may compromise your health.
So what can you do if you're concerned about mold growing in your home?
The best approach is preventing mold before it becomes a problem. The key to mold prevention is simple: moisture control.
Here’s a few steps to prevent Mold from growing.
1. Dry wet areas immediately
2. Prevent moisture with proper ventilation.
3. Equip your home with mold-resistant products.
4. Monitor humidity indoors
5. Improve air flow in your home.
What is Mold?
Mold is made up of several different types of fungi that reproduce that can grow rapidly if not treated. Mold that is found in homes are traditionally a white or grayish color. It is especially common to find mold in bathrooms, which is usually green. Mold may grow in all different types of environments, but thrives in damp and warm environments.
Mold reproduces by forming microscopic spores. These spores can survive under much harsher conditions than mold. The spores move freely throughout the air until it lands on a surface that has excessive moisture on it. Once the spores land mold can begin to grow. In order for it to grow it needs to have oxygen and need to be in a space where the temperature can range from 40° to 100° Fahrenheit.
It is very important to make sure your home is mold free. If mold is present it can affect the health of you and your family. It can also damage or possibly destroy the drywall and wood in your home. If your home has mold, call SERVPRO of Upper East Side at 917-924-2260.