Safety Tips during Thunderstorms
How to stay safe indoors during a thunderstorm:
During an electrical storm, avoid:
- Avoid using a land line phone. Land line-base lightning strikes are the leading cause of indoor lightning injuries in the United States.
- Avoid having any contact with appliances connected to your plumbing, because it is typically tied to your home's electrical service for grounding.
- Avoid all contact with you home's plumbing, including the shower, bath, and sinks during an electrical storm.
- Avoid all windows and doors or standing outside on porches.
How to stay safe outside in a thunderstorm:
- Find shelter immediately in a substantial and enclosed building or a metal-topped vehicle, convertibles do not provide protection.
- If you can hear thunder, you are close enough to be struck.
- Get away from isolated trees.
- Climb down and away from hilltops and other elevated areas.
- Stay away from objects and things that conduct electricity such as metal fences, power lines, or phone poles.
- Never lie flat in a field. You can still be hit through a ground-current strike.