Recent Mold Remediation Posts
Mold in cars!
The process of removing mold from a car.
I know you may be thinking, can mold really occur in cars? The answer is yes, and more often than you'd think.
We get called in quite often to deal with mold in cars so that they can be cleaned up, and then sold.
It's a process that requires many steps, but can most definitely be done in one day. After we do all the steps to clean up the car and remove the mold, we make sure to test it. Once we get the test back that says mold is no longer present, then they are good to go on selling the car.
If you feel you aren't sure if mold is present, then you can ask a professional to come and check it out. That's what we are here for!
Containment up for mold.
This home in New York City called us in on a huge mold job! They needed a ton of containment to keep the area contained to just where the mold already was.
We have to put up containment in these situations to make sure no other places are infected with mold.
It's important to remember that mold can come at any time. This whole winter we've had a ton of mold jobs, which isn't every year, but has been the most common for us this season.
Pay attention to your household, or office building. You will notice different smells, and may notice yourself coughing or wheezing. This can easily be due to mold growth in the area. It's an allergen so it can very well give you allergy feelings.
Checking for mold
As you can see, mold is not always right in your face. But this family could smell it in there closet after a water loss, so we came and handle it.
Some people assume that if you can't see mold, then it's not there. It's important to pay attention to new smells, ones that are potent and may sting the nostrils.
Again, you may not be able to see the mold with the naked eye but a trained professional would know right away. So if you do feel like you smell something, or your eyes are watering, give us a call. Best to check and make sure, that way it won't get any worse.
We know right away when we go into a building what needs to be done. Just make sure to call us right away! That's an urgency! Mold can be very bad for your health.
7 Myths about Mold
Exposing the truth about Mold
- 7 Mold Myths Exposed
Depending on who you talk to, household mold can be anything from a benign substance you can completely ignore to a super-toxin capable of causing grave harm in microscopic quantities. As with most things, the truth is typically somewhere in the middle. We help you find it below by exposing some common myths about mold as being exactly that.
Myth 1 – Your house can and should be completely free of mold.
False on both counts. Mold spores are part of the natural environment, and are all around us both when we are inside and outside. It would be virtually impossible (and totally unnecessary for most people) to remove every last mold spore from your home. Mold is only an issue when its concentration reaches unhealthy levels, typically as large, visible colonies.
Myth 2 – Mold is harmless.
While you can’t completely remove mold from your home, allowing it to grow unchecked is not a good options either. The health effects of mold are still unclear, and depend a great deal on the person, their immune system, and the amount of exposure. But there’s absolutely no question that mold can and will damage your personal belongings if allowed to grow on them.
Myth 3 – “Black mold” and “toxic mold” are very dangerous.
This is mostly untrue. First, most molds called “black” are really very dark green, and are not the Stachybotrys mold that can be associated with health effects. Second, “toxic mold” is a misnomer often used by the media. Only some mold spores produce toxins and only under certain circumstances. And even if they are producing toxins, it’s unlikely that most people could inhale enough mold in their office or home to get a “toxic” dose.
Myth 4 – Once you’ve killed mold, the removal is optional.
False. The allergens in mold are still present and can become airborne even when mold is dead. After you or a mold remediation specialist has killed mold in your home, it should be fully removed.
Myth 5 – Bleach kills mold.
Blanket statements like this are rarely completely true. Same here. Bleach can kill certain kinds of mold on nonporous surfaces. However, it is unclear if it kills all kinds of mold on every type of surface. In particular, its effectiveness on porous surfaces like wood is still very much in question.
Myth 6 – Mold remediation is something you can easily handle yourself.
Often not true. Mold remediation can be handled for small areas fairly easily. But for a pervasive problem, the help of a professional is highly recommended.
Myth 7 – A small amount of mold generally doesn’t indicate a problem
False. A small amount of mold, especially adjacent to an area you can’t see, can be just the tip of the iceberg. Only a certified mold inspector can tell you for sure the extent of your mold issue.
It Never Hurts to Get Expert Advice
When it comes to mold, in many cases there are enough unknowns about its type, origin, and spread that talking with a Certified Mold Inspector is always your wisest and safest option. Even if they confirm the problem is small and you can handle it yourself, the added peace of mind can be priceless.
SERVPRO of Upper East Side
How to Identify Mold
Do you believe you have mold growing?
Mold is everywhere. It’s a type of fungus that grows from tiny spores that float in the air. It can grow almost anywhere that spores land and find moisture and a comfortable temperature, between 40 and 100 degrees F. Typically that includes about every damp place in your home.
You can easily spot the most visible type of mold, called mildew, which begins as tiny, usually black spots but often grows into larger colonies. It’s the black stuff you see in the grout lines in your shower, on damp walls, and outdoors on the surfaces of deck boards and painted siding, especially in damp and shady areas. A mildewed surface is often difficult to distinguish from a dirty one. To test for mildew, simply dab a few drops of household bleach on the blackened area. If it lightens after one to two minutes, you have mildew. If the area remains dark, you probably have dirt.
Mildew is a surface type of mold that won’t damage your home’s structure. But other types of mold cause rot. If the wood is soft or crumbles, the fungi have taken hold and rot has begun.
If you have a high concentration of mold, you may smell it. If you detect the typical musty odor, check for mold on damp carpets, damp walls, damp crawlspaces and wet wood under your floors, wet roof sheathing and other damp areas. Clean up these infestations right away before they get worse, and see the following photos for prevention measures on how to remove mold.
Prevent Mold From growing in your home.
Mold. The very word is enough to make a person cringe.Mold spores spread easily and cannot be completely eradicated.
Mold can grow anywhere: on carpet, clothing, food, paper, and even in places you can't see, such as the backside of drywall, areas inside walls around leaking or condensing pipes, and above ceiling tiles.
Not only is a mold problem difficult and costly to fix, but mold can also produce allergens and irritants that may compromise your health.
So what can you do if you're concerned about mold growing in your home?
The best approach is preventing mold before it becomes a problem. The key to mold prevention is simple: moisture control.
Here’s a few steps to prevent Mold from growing.
1. Dry wet areas immediately
2. Prevent moisture with proper ventilation.
3. Equip your home with mold-resistant products.
4. Monitor humidity indoors
5. Improve air flow in your home.
What is Mold?
Mold is made up of several different types of fungi that reproduce that can grow rapidly if not treated. Mold that is found in homes are traditionally a white or grayish color. It is especially common to find mold in bathrooms, which is usually green. Mold may grow in all different types of environments, but thrives in damp and warm environments.
Mold reproduces by forming microscopic spores. These spores can survive under much harsher conditions than mold. The spores move freely throughout the air until it lands on a surface that has excessive moisture on it. Once the spores land mold can begin to grow. In order for it to grow it needs to have oxygen and need to be in a space where the temperature can range from 40° to 100° Fahrenheit.
It is very important to make sure your home is mold free. If mold is present it can affect the health of you and your family. It can also damage or possibly destroy the drywall and wood in your home. If your home has mold, call SERVPRO of Upper East Side at 917-924-2260.