Recent Fire Damage Posts
Never skipped out on having a fire sting wisher in your own home or business, They can save lives. No one is an exception.
A portable fire extinguisher can save lives and property by putting out a small fire or containing it until the fire department arrives; but portable extinguishers have limitations. Because fire grows and spreads so rapidly, the #1 priority for residents is to get out safely.
- Use a portable fire extinguisher when the fire is confined to a small area, such as a wastebasket, and is not growing; everyone has exited the building; the fire department has been called or is being called; and the room is not filled with smoke.
- To operate a fire extinguisher, remember the word PASS:
- Pull the pin. Hold the extinguisher with the nozzle pointing away from you, and release the locking mechanism.
- Aim low. Point the extinguisher at the base of the fire.
- Squeeze the lever slowly and evenly.
- Sweep the nozzle from side-to-side.
- For the home, select a multi-purpose extinguisher (can be used on all types of home fires) that is large enough to put out a small fire, but not so heavy as to be difficult to handle.
- Choose a fire extinguisher that carries the label of an independent testing laboratory.
- Read the instructions that come with the fire extinguisher and become familiar with its parts and operation before a fire breaks out. Local fire departments or fire equipment distributors often offer hands-on fire extinguisher trainings.
- Install fire extinguishers close to an exit and keep your back to a clear exit when you use the device so you can make an easy escape if the fire cannot be controlled. If the room fills with smoke, leave immediately.
- Know when to go. Fire extinguishers are one element of a fire response plan, but the primary element is safe escape. Every household should have a home fire escape plan and working smoke alarms.
What’s the next course of action after suffering a Fire?
Suffered A Fire? What do I do next?
After all the flames have been extinguished and the smoke has disappeared, what do you do?
Before fire damage occurs:
Take preventive action, incorporating ongoing off-site contingency plans including…
- A contact list with updated phone numbers and emails.
- A video or photographic record of your business or home for reimbursement in the event of loss – the more thorough, the better!
- An up-to-date list of inventory.
- A preloss agreement with a restoration company such as SERVPRO.
- Sign up for Our Free Emergency Ready Plan with one of our SERVPRO team members.
Already suffered fire damage?
Don’t touch anything.
Never enter your premises without the express consent of firefighters. Fire damage can result in an array of hidden, unsafe conditions.
Turn all utilities off.
Turn off water at the valve, and gas and electricity at the meter.
Immediately contact your insurance company.
They can start the claims process rolling by sending out an insurance adjuster to assess damages and discuss the situation.
Call SERVPRO of Upper East Side
Call SERVPRO, We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our Number is 917-924-2260.
The Red Cross may be able to offer assistance.
For Further Assistance, Call SERVPRO of Upper East Side, We have the knowledge, and advance tools and technology to restore your home or business to its pre-fire condition Fast! Don’t wait! Team members are available to answer questions you may have. Call Now 917-924-2260.
These little things can cause MASSIVE damage.
It may seem like an electronic cigarette or cigar could never cause much damage to you or your home, but little do you know, it can!
In this past year, we've had fire emergencies that burnt down whole houses just from an electronic cigarette or cigar.
“There is also a risk of property damage as a result of flammable materials catching on fire from an e-cigarette explosion. The United States Fire Administration said that 25 fires and explosions were caused by e-cigarettes between 2009 and August 2014.”
Just because you don't see a flame, does not mean that it doesn't have the ability to cause damage.
Be sure you turn those devices off, as you would a curling iron.
You want to keep your family and belongings safe! But always know that we are here if something does go wrong!
It is no surprise that dryer vents are the cause of many household fires. That’s why we look to emphasize on the fact of how important it is to keep them clean.
To reduce the risk of dryer vent fires happening in your home, we can come in and help you clean out your dryer vents.
Over time, dryer vents get clogged and they become havens for lint, debris of myriad kinds and other unpleasant organisms. These can also indirectly facilitate a fire. Clogged dryer vents can also cause electrical failures.
Tips for keeping your dryer vents clean is cleaning the lint filter before and after each load and making sure the outdoor vent flap will open and has zero restrictions. This will reduce risk of fires and then prevent any future issues.
Of course we are available help with your vents and any other issues you may have!