Workplace Indoor Air Quality
Maintaining workplace indoor air quality (IAQ), is important for good health and wellness of your employees and customers. Roughly 90% of our time is spent indoors and a large portion of that time is spent at work. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), regard indoor air pollution as a major problem. Most business owners don't realize the air circulating in the workplace is often filled with toxic compounds, that can cause health effects. Poor IDA can negatively affect productivity and increase absences among employees. What causes poor indoor air quality?
When there is a high percentage of moisture, it allows mold, bacteria and fungus to grow. Indoor relative humidity, should be kept between 30 and 50 percent.
Some common biological pollutants are bacteria, mold, dust mites, animal dander and pollen. Improper maintenance and cleaning of HVAC system can add to this issue.
Chemicals (gases and vapors) can come from many sources. Products such as, office equipment, furniture, wall and floor coverings release chemicals into the air. Products that enter the HVAC system from outdoors, products used during renovations and chemical spills. By-products, such as carbon monoxide, formaldehyde and nitrogen dioxide, are also known sources.
These are solid or liquid and non-biological, that are released into the air creating respiratory problems. The most common particles is dirt and dust, drywall dust, wood dust and silica.
What can you do to improve indoor air quality?
- Keep all air supply vents unblocked
- Clean spills immediately
- Store food properly
- Dispose of garbage properly
- Add some indoor plants
- Run commercial-grade air purifiers or air scrubbers and dehumidifiers to reduce moisture.
- Keep your workplace clean
- Have your carpets professionally cleaned
- Use eco-friendly cleaning products
- Open windows to allow fresh air to circulate
- Change HVAC filter regularly
- Commercial HVAC systems should be professionally cleaned every few years or sooner if needed.
- Put floor mats outside each entrance way and clean mats regularly
We are here to help improve the indoor air quality of your business.
Call SERVPRO of Upper East Side - (917) 924-2260