If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (917) 924-2260

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

The Silent Killer

7/29/2021 (Permalink)

The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, tasteless and odorless gas

Carbon Monoxide is also known as The Silent Killer. It is a colorless, tasteless and odorless gas, that is deadly. It is undetectable by humans and pets. It is released into the air from burning fuel, so anything in your home or business that runs off fuel is a potential source. When the gas is released into poorly-ventilated enclosed space, carbon monoxide molecules replace the oxygen in the air. Poisoning occurs when the carbon monoxide accumulates to dangerous levels in your blood stream. High concentrations can kill in less than five minutes. 

Some common sources of carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Gas Fired Furnaces/hot water heaters
  • Wood burning stoves
  • Gas ranges/ovens
  • Space Heaters
  • Generators
  • Gas Grills
  • Clogged Chimneys
  • Heating exhaust vents
  • House fires
  • Running cars in enclosed spaces
  • Using gas powered tools in enclosed spaces

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning

  • Flu-like symptoms
  • Headache
  • Confusion
  • Dizziness
  • Lightheadedness
  • Shortness of breath
  • Nausea
  • Weakness
  • Blurred Vision
  • Chest pain
  • Loss of consciousness

Carbon monoxide poisoning is preventable

  • Purchase and install carbon monoxide detectors in the hallway near each bedroom
  • Test them regularly, replacing batteries or detector when necessary
  • Have everything that operates by fuel inspected once a year by a qualified professional
  • Don't run your vehicle in an enclosed space
  • Check the exhaust pipe of your vehicle to be sure it isn't blocked
  • Never grill indoors
  • Practice safe generator usage

If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, evacuate immediately and be sure to take all your pets with you. Leave the door open for ventilation and contact the fire department. 

Other News

View Recent Posts