Hurricane season 2020
Hurricane season 2020
The Atlantic hurricane season officially starts June 1 and ends November 30. According to NOAA's Climate Prediction Center, which is a division of the National Weather Service, they are expecting an above-average 2020 Atlantic hurricane season. The predictions are a 60% chance of above-average season, a 30% chance of an average season and a 10% chance of below-average season. They are forecasting a range of 13 to 19 named storms. The hurricane season hasn't even begun yet and we have already crossed the first named hurricane off the list, Arthur.
Here is the chosen names for 2020 Atlantic Hurricanes:
Steps you can take to prepare
- Prepare an emergency bag
- Make a plan
- Stay informed
Some items you should have in your emergency bag:
- Bottled water: 1 gallon per person/pet per day for a minimum of 3 days
- Non-perishable food
- Manual can opener
- Extra set of car and house keys
- Cash (small bills)
- Copies of ATM/Credit Card
- Battery-operated AM/FM radio
- Extra batteries
- Portable cell phone charger that is fully charged and extra cell phone charger cords
- First Aid Kit
- Notepad and Pen
- Whistle to call for help
- Lightweight Raingear and blankets
- Copies of your important documents in a waterproof container (e.g., insurance cards, Medicare/Medicaid cards, photo IDs, proof of address, marriage and birth certificates)
- Back-up medical equipment, if possible (e.g., oxygen, medication, scooter battery, hearing aids, mobility aids, glasses, facemasks, gloves)
For more information on how to be prepared, check out NYC’s My Emergency Plan
For Immediate Service, Call SERVPRO of Upper East Side
We provide immediate service day or night!
SERVPRO of Upper East Side provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster. We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs.
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any-Sized Disaster
- Highly Trained Restoration Technicians
- A Trusted Leader in the Restoration Industry
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Advanced Restoration and Cleaning Equipment
Have Questions? Call Us 24/7 – 917-924-2260
Whether your home needs emergency flood damage or your upholstery cleaned, you can depend on us. Our technicians have extensive cleaning and restoration training and can make your property look its best. Learn more about our residential services: https://www.SERVPROuppereastsideny.com/residential-restoration-cleaning
- Water Damage Restoration
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Storm Damage Restoration
- Cleaning Services
- Building/Reconstruction Services
There's never a convenient time for Fire or Water damage to strike your commercial property. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when the need arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services we have the training and expertise to respond promptly with highly trained technicians to get your property back to business. Learn more about our commercial services: https://www.SERVPROuppereastsideny.com/commercial-restoration-cleaning
- Commercial Water Damage Restoration
- Commercial Fire Damage Restoration
Does your home have a mold problem?
Signs of mold
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (917) 924-2260
We Specialize in Flooded Basement Cleanup and Restoration!
This home’s basement flooded due to heavy rains.
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding, because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your basement could flood, including:
- A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
- Heavy rain causes surface water to pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
- And many more
Have Questions about Basement Flooding?
Call Today - (917) 924-2260
If flood water is not handled quickly and properly, it can jeopardize your health and safety, and cause severe damage to your home’s structure. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
The bottom line: a flooded basement can jeopardize your health, safety, and your home’s integrity. It’s worth making a call to SERVPRO of Upper East Side and let our trained, professional crews handle the situation safely and correctly. We have earned the trust of hundreds of homeowners, business owners, and property professionals.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists:
- We are Available 24 hours/7 days a week
- We’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
- We Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry About
- Our Technicians are Highly-Trained in Water Restoration Techniques
- We use IICRC Restoration Standards
- Advanced Inspection and Extraction Equipment
Basement Flooded? Call Us Today – We’re Ready To Help (917) 924-2260
The importance of indoor air quality in the workplace
Indoor Air Quality in the workplace
Maintaining workplace indoor air quality (IAQ), is important for good health and wellness of your employees and customers. Roughly 90% of our time is spent indoors and a large portion of that time is spent at work. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), regard indoor air pollution as a major problem. Most business owners don't realize the air circulating in the workplace is often filled with toxic compounds, that can cause health effects. Poor IDA can negatively affect productivity and increase absences among employees. What causes poor indoor air quality?
When there is a high percentage of moisture, it allows mold, bacteria and fungus to grow. Indoor relative humidity, should be kept between 30 and 50 percent.
Some common biological pollutants are bacteria, mold, dust mites, animal dander and pollen. Improper maintenance and cleaning of HVAC system can add to this issue.
Chemicals (gases and vapors) can come from many sources. Products such as, office equipment, furniture, wall and floor coverings release chemicals into the air. Products that enter the HVAC system from outdoors, products used during renovations and chemical spills. By-products, such as carbon monoxide, formaldehyde and nitrogen dioxide, are also known sources.
These are solid or liquid and non-biological, that are released into the air creating respiratory problems. The most common particles is dirt and dust, drywall dust, wood dust and silica.
What can you do to improve indoor air quality?
- Keep all air supply vents unblocked
- Clean spills immediately
- Store food properly
- Dispose of garbage properly
- Add some indoor plants
- Run commercial-grade air purifiers or air scrubbers and dehumidifiers to reduce moisture.
- Keep your workplace clean
- Have your carpets professionally cleaned
- Use eco-friendly cleaning products
- Open windows to allow fresh air to circulate
- Change HVAC filter regularly
- Commercial HVAC systems should be professionally cleaned every few years or sooner if needed.
- Put floor mats outside each entrance way and clean mats regularly
We are here to help improve the indoor air quality of your business.
Call SERVPRO of Upper East Side - (917) 924-2260
Upper East Side 24 Hour Emergency Water Damage Service
SERVPRO of Upper East Side provides 24 hour fire and water damage restoration service.
SERVPRO of Upper East Side is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today - (917) 924-2260
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused and stressed. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Upper East Side has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of Upper East Side
SERVPRO of Upper East Side specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
The Silent Killer
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning is Preventable
Carbon Monoxide is also known as The Silent Killer. It is colorless, tasteless and odorless gas, that is deadly. It is undetectable by humans and pets. It is released into the air from burning fuel, so anything in your home or business that runs off fuel is a potential source. When the gas is released into poorly-ventilated enclosed space, carbon monoxide molecules replace the oxygen in the air. Poisoning occurs when the carbon monoxide accumulates to dangerous levels in your blood stream. High concentrations can kill in less than five minutes.
Some common sources of carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Gas Fired Furnaces/hot water heaters
- Wood burning stoves
- Gas ranges/ovens
- Space Heaters
- Gas Grills
- Clogged Chimneys
- Heating exhaust vents
- House fires
- Running cars in enclosed spaces
- Using gas powered tools in enclosed spaces
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning
- Flu-like symptoms
- Shortness of breath
- Blurred Vision
- Chest pain
- Loss of consciousness
Carbon monoxide poisoning is preventable
- Purchase and install carbon monoxide detectors in the hallway near each bedroom
- Test them regularly, replacing batteries or detector when necessary
- Have everything that operates by fuel inspected once a year by a qualified professional
- Don't run your vehicle in an enclosed space
- Check the exhaust pipe of your vehicle to be sure it isn't blocked
- Never grill indoors
- Practice safe generator usage
If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, evacuate immediately and be sure to take all your pets with you. Leave the door open for ventilation and contact the fire department.
Upper East Side Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke and Soot Damage Can Cause a Pervasive Odor
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home or business, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Upper East Side will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – SERVPRO of Upper East Side - 917-924-2260
Restoring Your Commercial Property After A Water Damage Event
Commercial Water Damage Events Present Unique Challenges
Flooding and water damage events at commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Upper East Side
SERVPRO of Upper East Side specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
IICRC Certified Firm
We are an IICRC Certified Firm
SERVPRO of Upper East Side is an IICRC firm. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) creates the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
IICRC Certified Firms must
• Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
• Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
• Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
• Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
• Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
The IICRC Develops The Standards For The Restoration Industry
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration and mold remediation. These IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
Every five years, the standards are reviewed and updated. The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science, and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace.
About SERVPRO of Upper East Side
SERVPRO of Upper East Side specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.