Think You Have Mold?
We are Mold Remediation Specialists
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Upper East Side for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Upper East Side specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (917) 924-2260
Know When You're At Risk of a Dryer Fire
Dryer Safety Tips
Clothes dryer fires are the leading cause of both Residential and Commercial fires. Dryer fires can happen when lint from your laundry builds up in the dryer or in the exhaust duct itself. When lint accumulates enough to block air flow, it causes heat to increase which results in a fire. According to The Consumer Product Safety Commission, more than 15,500 fires occur annually from clothes dryers. The U.S. Fire Administration reports the leading cause of these fires, is failure to clean the dryer vent.
How do you know when you're at risk of a dryer fire? Here is a list of warning signs..
- Outside of your dryer is very hot to the touch
- Your load of clothes are unusually hot
- You find the lint trapper filled with more lint than normal
- The laundry room is very hot and humid
- The exterior dryer vent has no air flowing out while the dryer is on
- The exterior vent has an accumulation of lint around it
- Drying time is taking longer than normal
- The vent hood flap doesn't open properly
- You notice a burning smell
- It's been longer than a year since you've had your dryer duct inspected
Things you can do between inspections to prevent a clogged dryer vent..
- Clean the lint screen after each cycle
- Vacuum the lint trap housing cavity once a month
- Clean behind and under the dryer
- Only run the dryer when you are home
- Inspect and fix and improper dryer ducting
- Do not dry clothes containing Volatile Organic Compounds. Some examples of VOC's are cooking oils, gasoline, cleaning agents, stains, etc.
- Have your dryer exhaust vents inspected and cleaned once a year
Call SERVPRO of Upper East Side to schedule your dryer vent inspection and cleaning today. (917) 924-2260
SERVPRO Emergency Ready Plan
Be Ready For Whatever Happens
As many as 50% of businesses close down following a disaster, according to the latest research. Of the businesses that survive, the overwhelming majority of them had a preparedness plan in place. Pre-planning can serve as an insurance policy aimed at peace of mind. And knowing you are "Ready for whatever happens" speaks trust to your clients and employees that in the event your business is affected by a disaster, they don’t necessarily have to be.
By developing a SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile for your business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business.
- A no cost assessment of your facility.
This means there is no need to allocate funds, giving you a great value at no cost.
- A concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
It will only take a little time to complete and will not take you away from current projects. But it will save a lot of time if ever needed.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster.
This can help minimize the amount of time your business is inactive by having an immediate plan of action.
- Establishes your local SERVPRO Franchise Professional as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider.
You have a provider that is recognized as an industry leader and close by.
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
This saves time so we can begin the work of mitigating the damage which can save you time and money.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information.
Having a quick reference of what to do, how to do it and who to call provides solutions in advance of an emergency so that during the emergency you are "Ready for whatever happens."
Ready to get started? Click on the link below..
We Can Handle Storm Damage of Any Size
Our Staff are Highly Trained Storm Damage Specialists
Floods, tropical storms, tornadoes, hurricanes and even severe thunderstorms, can cause extensive damage to homes and businesses. When a natural disaster occurs, most companies that respond to storm damage are unable to handle the damage when it's wide-spread. We have the resources to handle massive severe weather events, no disaster is too big. We can access resources from a network of 1,700 franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams strategically located throughout the country. As part of a Large Loss Recovery Team, our efforts have protected many of the apartments and buildings throughout our area of Manhattan, but also helped those affected by considerable storm systems such as Hurricanes Katrina and Sandy.
Our staff are highly trained Storm Damage Specialists. Our training program include the following:
- IICRC Trained and Certified
- Employee Certification Training
- Initial Franchise Training
- Continuing Education Classes
Why SERVPRO of Upper East Side?
- A Trusted Leader in the Storm and Water Restoration Industry.
- Faster to any size disaster.
- Faster to any size emergency.
- No job too large.
- Catastrophic storm and major event response.
- Every large loss is supervised by a commercial operations manager to help ensure seamless communication and timely mitigation.
- Our ability to dispatch trained production professionals.
- We cut costs through the strategic placement and oversight of temporary labor.
- 24-hour emergency services
- Ready to help 24/7/365
We're a locally owned company with natural resources. We are proud to be a part of our community and strive to provide the residents and business owners in our area the fastest response times and our best work each and every day.
Have Storm or Flood Damage?
Call Us Today (917) 924-2260
Facts and Myths about Mold
Facts and Myths about Mold
Mold Myth #1:
There Should Be No Mold In My Home
Mold spores are present everywhere both indoors and outdoors. It's in the air we breathe and there is no way to completely eliminate it.
Mold Myth #2:
Mold Serves No Purpose
Some molds are used in the production of cheese and in some medications, such as penicillin
Mold Myth #3:
Mold Exposure Will Cause Health Effects
Not everyone is affected when exposed to mold, but mold does have the potential to cause health effects. Those most affected include anyone prone to respiratory problems and anyone who is immune compromised.
Mold Myth #4:
Mold Is Always Visible
Just because you can't see mold, doesn't mean it isn't there. If you can smell a musty earth like odor, mold is likely present.
Mold Myth #5:
Bleach Will Kill Mold
Bleach will kill live mold, but it will not kill mold spores.
Mold Myth #6:
You Can Easily Identify The Type Of Mold Growing
There is between tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands different types of molds and fungi, way too many for you to able to identify a specific type.
Mold Myth #7:
You Can Clean Up A Mold Problem Yourself
Even small areas infected by mold, require a professional mold removing service.
Call SERVPRO of Upper East Side
When it comes to mold, you wisest and safest option is to call a certified mold inspector. Even if there appears to be a small amount of mold, a small amount can quickly spread into an infestation. Give yourself peace of mind and call to schedule a mold inspection - (917) 924-2260
We're Here to Help When Storm Damage Strikes
When Storm Damage Strikes
Every thunderstorm produces lightning, these storms can also produce powerful winds over 50 mph, hail, flooding and even tornado's. According to the National Weather Service, the Empire State Building is hit by lightning an average of 25 times per year. Lightning is one of the leading causes of injury and death caused by severe weather.
It is very important to take all thunderstorms seriously and always take the proper precautions to protect yourself and your human and canine loved ones.
Know the terms
- Severe thunderstorm watch: Conditions are favorable for the development of severe thunderstorms in and close to the watch area.
- Severe Thunderstorm Warning: Issued when a thunderstorm produces hail 3/4 of an inch or larger in diameter and/or winds which equal or exceed 58 mph.
Stay tuned to updates from the National Weather Service on local stations. At the first sound of thunder, head indoors. No place outdoors is safe when a thunderstorm is nearby. When you're indoors, wait a minimum of 30 mins after you hear the last sound of thunder before going back outside. While indoors, you should avoid using plugged-in electronics and plumbing if possible. Water can conduct electricity, which is why it is dangerous to use plumbing during a thunderstorm. Also, remember to stay away from windows during the storm. If you are unable to get indoors when a storm is approaching, the safest place to be is in a car. Do not lean against concrete walls, or lay down on concrete. Avoid large structures which are considered lightning rods during a thunderstorm. Avoid contact with metal which would include, bicycles and motorcycles. If you driving when a thunderstorm hits, pull over remain in your vehicle until the storm passes.
After the storm is over, avoid areas that are damaged from the storm. Never drive through roadways that are flooded. Stay away from all downed power lines and report them immediately. Doing so will help officials restore power to the area as soon as possible. Stay indoors if the damage is severe and be sure to keep an eye on small children and pets.
Floods and storms don’t wait for normal business hours, and neither do we. You can depend on an immediate response from our highly trained technicians, who are available 24 hours, seven days a week. If you need help with storm cleanup, call us. (917) 924-2260
Create A Fire Escape Plan
Have An Escape Plan
Keeping your family safe if there is a fire in your home, requires working smoke alarms and having an escape plan. If a smoke alarm sounds due to a fire, you and your family have as little as two minutes to escape. Once a fire starts, it spreads very rapidly. Every second counts! Every home should have a fire safety plan in place and all family members must practice the plan until everyone can escape in less than two minutes. Follow the steps below to create a plan for your family.
1. Create an escape plan
Get all your family members together and walk through every room in your home, while talking about ways to escape. You should try to aim for two escape routes from every room if possible. Make a drawing of your home mapping out ways to exit. If you have small children, make sure they are paying attention and understand the escape plan. Never open a closed door until you touch it first, if it's hot find another way to escape. Have everyone practice dropping to their tummy and crawling, to reduce smoke inhalation.
2. Pick a meeting place
Choose a place to meet when you are safely out of harms way. The meeting place should be far enough away from your home. Go over the chosen location with all family members.
It is not enough to have a fire safety plan and meeting place, you must also practice your plan as many times as it takes till everyone in your family can escape in less than two minutes. Practice leaving from different rooms, practice dropping to your stomach and practice testing to see if doors and door handles are hot. When you are safely outside and at your meeting place, call 911. Never go back inside! Practice this plan twice a year, you may want to practice more frequently if you have small children.
4. Test smoke alarms
A fire safety plan will not work if your smoke detectors are not working. Every smoke detector in your home must be fully operational at all times. Make a habit of testing each smoke alarm once a month.
We are available for you 24 hours a day, if you are in need of our services. 917-924-2260
We Are Faster To Any Size Disaster
Faster To Any Size Disaster
There’s never a convenient time for flooding or water damage to strike your business. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need. SERVPRO of Upper East Side provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
SERVPRO of Upper East Side has the training, experience, and equipment to handle large commercial flooding or water damage emergencies. Whether your water emergency occurs in a small office building or big box store, we will respond quickly to mitigate the damage and start the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage, cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – (917) 924-2260
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of Upper East Side
SERVPRO of Upper East Side specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in commercial property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your commercial property.
Fire Safety Tips
Fire Prevention Tips
Install Smoke Detectors and Carbon Monoxide Alarms
- Top of the list in preventing house fires is by installing smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms in your home and remembering to test them at least twice a year. The US Fire Administration recommends changing the batteries twice a year and replacing the detectors and alarms every 10 years.
Purchase Fire Extinguishers
- A fire extinguisher should be in every kitchen, because the kitchen is one of the most common place where house fires start. You should also have one on hand in your bedroom.
- Be sure they are easily accessible and most important, make sure everyone in your family knows how to use one. Each member of your family should be taught how to operate a fire extinguisher. For young children, post P.A.S.S. acronym near each fire extinguisher.
Inspect Heating Equipment, Annually
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) say the leading cause of fires in US homes are caused by heating equipment (including space heaters, fireplaces and heating systems)
- Have your furnace inspected and a tune-up done annually. It will prolong the life of your furnace and it can prevent house fires.
- It's important to know when heating systems aren't working properly, they can release carbon monoxide. Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can cause severe illness and death.
- It is also recommended that you install a Notion Sensor next to your Carbon Monoxide alarm. This will notify you when your Carbon Monoxide alarm goes off, giving time for you and your family and pets to evacuate safely.
Don't use frayed or cracked electrical cords.
- Pulling on a cord can wear it out over time – and cords that are worn or frayed can increase the risk of a short circuit, an electrical shock, and even a fire.
Don't leave the kitchen unattended when the stove or oven is on.
Extension Cords should never be used on the following items
- Do NOT use an extension cord with the following items: ice makers, refrigerators, microwaves, space heater, hair dryer, garbage disposals, air conditioners, toasters/toaster ovens, washers/dryers, and coffee/tea makers.
Never leave lit candles unattended
- If you use candles regularly, it’s so important to put them out before leaving the room.
- You should also keep them far away from any blankets, carpets, or other flammable objects.
- If you have small children or pets, it’s also a good idea to keep lit candles out of reach.
Store flammable liquids properly
- According to the NFPA, flammable or combustible liquids cause more than 43,000 home fires each year!
- It's so important to carefully read product labels, keep an eye out for any warnings, and store accordingly.
Have your dryer inspected by a professional at least once a year
- Dryers cause more than 20,000 house fires every year, causing millions of dollars in damage.
- Regular cleaning and maintenance are all you need to protect your family and your home from dryer fires.
- Removing the lint trap from your dryer after every use and clean it.
- Lint will also build up inside the dryer vent and ductwork, so it's best to call a professional at least once a year to have an inspection and cleaning.
Consider renters insurance if you rent an apartment
- Renters insurance covers your personal property if it is damaged or stolen, medical and legal bills if you are found liable for damaging someone's property or injuring them, and temporary living expenses if your rental home is uninhabitable.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists
Basement Flooded? Call us!
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding, because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your basement could flood, including:
- A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
- Heavy rain causes surface water to pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
- And many more
If flood water is not handled quickly and properly, it can jeopardize your health and safety, and cause severe damage to your home’s structure. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
The bottom line: a flooded basement can jeopardize your health, safety, and your home’s integrity. It’s worth making a call to SERVPRO of Upper East Side and let our trained, professional crews handle the situation safely and correctly. We have earned the trust of hundreds of homeowners, business owners, and property professionals.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists:
- We are Available 24 hours/7 days a week
- We’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
- We Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry About
- Our Technicians are Highly-Trained in Water Restoration Techniques
- We use IICRC Restoration Standards
- Advanced Inspection and Extraction Equipment
Basement Flooded? Call Us Today – We’re Ready To Help (917) 924-2260